Sunday, March 29, 2009

Jetlagged

Here I am, back in France and boy, am I jetlagged. I used to think this flying over the Atlantic thing was so cool; I loved saying I lived the jetsetting lifestyle. Now, I can safely say I'm totally over it! We were considering taking a trip to the States in late July, but once you see how expensive the tickets are per trip, it makes you think twice. The flight was pretty turbulent the whole way and I thought I would be getting to be a calmer traveler but i think actually I am becoming a more nervous flyer! But the person next to next made me feel better when she fell asleep on my shoulder. She was a cute 4 year old. She fell asleep in the middle of a big coloring art project with little smiley face stickers stuck to each of her fingers.

So, after unpacking my 2 suitcases, weighing 50 lbs. each, I realized that I have no idea when my next trip to the States will be. That feels kind of funny. I really love where we live in France and I love our new apartment, but I have to say there is no place like home. I felt pretty happy when I was back home in Sarasota, the only thing missing was my husband and the cat. We are getting closer to having Yann's green card, so we cannot even think of moving back to the States before that. Also, with the economy being as bad as it is, I feel like it would be scary for Yann to quit his job here and move to a country that is experiencing some of the highest unemployment in many years. Last year we were thinking we would move to the States in May 09, well, then things changed and we were saying August 09. Well, looks like that is being pushed back again. As it stands now, it looks like we should be moving back in January 2010. That seems like so far away from now! Yes, as you can tell I'm a little homesick for my country!

When I get overwhelmed with it, I just think about how lucky I am to be living abroad in a country like France. I mean, come on; it's not so bad. We have free health care here, so no paying medical insurance every month. It's a first world country, with many things such as groceries, shopping, and driving being basically the same as the States. Plus, when else will I have the opportunity to learn a language by living in the country? So, it's all good really. But I think once we do move back to the US I will really appreciate and never take for granted being able to live close to family and friends. To just be able to open your mouth and speak fluently and the people around you will understand. It's the simple things that I have learned to appreciate about my own country by living here in France. I don't know if I ever would have come to that realization, if I had never spent two years away from it. And that is my thought for the day!

3 comments:

Malourene Corbeille said...

How tall was this 4 years old to be able t fall asleep on your SHOULDER ?? ha ha ...
ok.. in hong kong a bit bored... have to wait another 5 hours before my flight back to France... coming girls, coming !!

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home safely! I'm so glad you were able to make it to Kat's engagement party. Thank you SOOO much for all of your help!

Chris

Unknown said...

O I'm sorry to say this, but i'm glad you miss home....because I miss seeing you. I was so sad I didn't get to see you while you were here. I guess I'll just have to continue blog stalking you.
Glad you had a safe trip all round.