Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One year of marriage and...

DSC00542 2

DSC00546 2

One year of marriage today! I still can't believe how much my life has changed since that fateful night at S.K.O.B (Siesta Key Oyster Bar!) in October 2007. It hasn't actually been that long since I've been with Yann, considering that I married him 6 months after I met him. But everyday of this past year has been a confirmation of the best decision I've ever made in my life. This guy I married has a heart of gold. Truly, he's The Guy for me and I'm so happy to have the first milestone of marriage under our belts. I know we have a lot more of these April 22nd's in our lifetime. I loved our 'first' marriage here in Marseille. (I refer to it as the first because this first wedding was in a courtroom in France with only Yann's parents and his best friend in attendance. The 'second' wedding was on Dec. 27th, 2008 at a church in Sarasota, FL) Both weddings were great in different ways.

The first wedding was so casual, so carefree. There was something so liberating about going to a courtroom and having some random French dude marry us in a five minute 'ceremony'. I highly recommend this if you want to get hitched with zero stress or planning. I didn't even buy any new clothes for the occasion; just threw on some white pants and a white shirt. Our rings were purchased 2 weeks prior; they were having a sale at this really cheesy jewelry store in the mall...buy one wedding band and get the other at 30% off. We had eachother's names inscribed on the inside of the rings and they cost us about 120 euros for the two! Luckily, Yann's parents remembered to bring a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of chilled champagne. We went out for pizza and beers before. It was a crazy windy day, so my hair is flying around my face in all the pictures, but his dad managed to snap a couple keepers.

It was on a weekday, so after toasting with the champagne, his friend, JC, went back to work and Yann's parents headed back home. Yann and I, newly married, went to the Asian supply store and bought things to make a sushi feast. We celebrated at our apartment that night by getting in sweatpants and eating sushi on the couch and watching movies. It's crazy to me the fuss people make about planning a wedding; all the money and time spent to create this extravagant day. You know, to each, his own, but for me that day one year ago was the perfect wedding day. The whole day cost about 100 euros, but the feeling in my heart that day was priceless. I think when you hardly plan a wedding and keep it tiny and simple, it forces the couple to focus on the actual marriage, rather than all the other millions of details floating around. There was just us, and 3 other people to witness this union on that beautiful, windy day in Marseille, France.

And now, after a year, our lives are about to change in another huge way...

I am about 12 weeks pregnant and we're going to become parents sometime around November 5th!!

So, there you have it. I never thought my life could change so much in a short time, but sometimes miracles happen.

We couldn't be happier to share this news and we just feel blessed to have this new life to love and care for.
Of course, I'll keep you updated on everything!

DSC00543 2

4 comments:

KatieKate said...

Oh, Congratulations!!! On everything!! Wooohooo! I don't even know you and I am so stinkin' excited for you! YEAH!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Heather and Yann, We are so happy and excited for you. I am giving Grandma a Blog lesson. Now she has a shortcut to your Blog on her desktop so she can keep up with your adventures easier. Take good care of yourself... we can hardly wait to see you.
Love you! Grandma Mary & Patti

Andalee said...

Congratulations! This is going to be awesome. Please take a vitamin with folic acid every day! Love, Megan

Unknown said...

Well, there it is, you and Yann, one year and a new baby. Wow.
I'm so happy for you and so excited to see you with a cutie little belly. I want lots of belly shots on here so we all can see.
O you will be beautiful.
thank you for your sweet words, you are such a precious friend to me. Tell Yann congrats on being a Dad.