Sunday, June 7, 2009

So, do you like my new title?

It's fitting, eh? The Back Home Blog. Though maybe not so terribly creative, but it does convey the simple fact that I am back at home here in the ol' US of A! The ol' red, white, and blue...oh wait; France's flag is red, white, and blue also. But you get what I'm saying here, right? Well, it feels totally awesome to be back, aside from the crazy feeling that I'm still moving when I'm actually standing perfectly still. (Thanks jet lag!) I tell ya, I did puddle up a little bit when I got off that plane in Washington D.C. and walked though to the customs line, where there was this big sign hanging that read "Welcome Home to the United States". Maybe they knew I was coming and wanted to give me a warm welcome message. There were some uniformed troops there guarding and I wanted to run up to them and thank them and give them all a bear hug. Big, strong American soldiers in their camo and with their cool buzzcut hair. I am very thankful for them and to be back here. Look at me; all patriotic now! What also adds to my new found patriotism is the fact that I love our new president!


The plane rides, all FOUR of them, were good overall. I decided to try to save a few bucks by buying a heavily discounted ticket on Orbitz. Hence, why I had so many connections. My first mistake was buying a ticket that departed from Paris. We live, like 8 hours away from Paris by car and my flight left very early in the morning, so we had to drive all the way up from Provence the day before and get a hotel room by the Charles de Gaule Airport. Apparently, my sweet husband must have been also trying to save a buck, because, bless his heart, our hotel room was not a pretty sight. I asked him if he was trying to romance me on our last night together for 3 months. Ha, ha. We spent the first 10 minutes in the room picking out little black hairs from under the pillows on the bed. yuck. But hey, we survived the night unharmed and he dropped me off the next morning at the airport for my flight on Aer Lingus. yeah, I said Lingus. I was a bit skeptical at first, maybe the name did it, but after taking the commuter plane to Dublin and boarding the Airbus 330 over to Washington I felt better about it. It was a brand new plane, it had little tv screens in the back of each seat, and I had the 4 middle seats to myself. Let me inject here, that I have become an increasingly worried flyer. I think it happened sometime this last year with all the flying back and forth to Europe and being on a flight that had major turbulence. I used to adore the whole process of air travel and dealing with airports, but those days are over. Especially, just right after the Air France crash in Brazil, I was just creeped out the whole time. I couldn't really relax enough to sleep and every time I dozed off we would hit a little bump and I would wake up with a start!


I was so happy to finally be on the ground in Tampa and I met my parents outside of baggage claim, and it hit me how absolutely exhausted I was. I was literally staggering to their car. Maybe it was all the stress of flying, plus the no sleep, plus the pregnancy factor. And when I got inside the car and saw that they had brought my dog, Rascal, I burst into tears. I guess it was just pretty emotional to be home and seeing that little ball of fur so happy to see me, just made me cry!

So, now I'm pretty well recovered and my parents took me out last night to celebrate at Ruth Chris's Steakhouse and I ordered a giant steak. Girl needs some iron and protein! My mom and I also had to return some things at the mall and we hit up the Gymboree store. (My first time in one.) And so we bought the baby some cute little outfits, but I told myself: No more buying! Because I imagine these little shopping sprees for the baby can get pricey. It's just so fun to buy cute clothes for your future baby girl, with her future grandma! And the sales were major anyways; in France those same clothes would have been double or perhaps even triple the price they were here.

So, my next post will probably be about the introduction class I will be attending on Monday at the Sarasota Rosemary Birthing Center. Looking very forward to that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah, you are home. so happy for you. i can hear the relief in your typing.
so glad that made it safe and that your dog and parents were there to greet you. so sweet about the tears.
i want to see some pregnant pictures very soon, you can't type that much and not give us some heather pics to go along, i mean come on. take lots and lots of pictures, pleeeease.
hope the next three months without Yann go very very fast.
you know, my birthday is nov. 16th, not that i hope you are that late, but it's a good month to be born in.
so glad your home.
and...i'm working on a post, hold your horses, a girls got a lot to do these days with an almost 3 yr. old....enjoy this time in utero, rest, rest, rest.