Thursday, July 2, 2009

What to do for the 4th this year?

I think this year, I'm going to need to sit out the 4th of July festivities. I see everybody around me making their firework viewing, BBQ, and beach plans but this time around I just am not feeling like celebrating. A few contributing factors are: the fact that I can't drink ice cold American beer, it's unbearably hot here in Florida, and also I think all the loud exploding noises would freak out the baby in utero. Apparently, from the books I'm reading she can hear pretty much everything around my belly, but more diluted, like being underwater. So, I think the crazy, drunken 4th of July revelers will have to party with out my presence this year. To be honest, the holiday was never one of my favorites and I blame growing up in Florida on this. I'm more of a Christmas and Thanksgiving girl. It was just always so hot growing up in Florida in the summers, that standing outside in the swampy, steamy evening heat and lighting off firecrackers in the driveway just wasn't so enticing. Plus, this year our barbeque is out of order and so we can't even grill! That should be a crime to have a broken grill in the summer! But I think this year a friend and I are going to buck the trend of viewing fireworks over the water and head to the refuge of a cool, dark, and deserted movie theatre and then grab some dinner. But please, go out and celebrate for me! Grill, Chill and be merry!


I think it's kind of funny that we ordered our nursery furniture and I have no idea where to put it when it gets delivered in August. I have my room here packed full and my parents' basement in North Carolina filled too. Yann doesn't come until September so I'm going to hold off on getting a place until then. Therefore, we have a household full of stuff, baby and other that needs to be moved somewhere, but no place to put it all yet. Hmmm, And to top that off, I am 'nesting' like crazy. Have you experienced this for yourself ever? I would assume it's a girl thing, and especially for expecting moms. I am so wanting a place of our own, with a cute little second bedroom to create a nursery. And wait until you see this furniture and bedding I found; very adorable, but not overly girly. I am thinking about chocolate browns and greens for her room. I owned a house in Asheville for a few years and I really fell in love with decorating it and making it my own space. First, I learned so much about renovation and house projects, but after the major work was done, I was able to get in there, and pick paint colors and decorate. I was really into, (because I had to be) decorating on the major cheap. Where I was in North Carolina there were tons of little thrift stores where you could find vintage treasures galore. I think the little old ladies running these stores had no idea what some of those things were worth. There was a Humane Society thrift store in Downtown Brevard that was my little secret for the summer I worked as a ceramics teacher at a girls camp. Oh, I got so many cool things there. But I think at this point, I've collected lots of stuff, and now I just need a place for it all! Well, although I'm already more than half way through this pregnancy, I still have some more time to figure out where we will end up.



Tomorrow, my dad and I are hopefully going to finish up and photograph this cute little project we've been working on. So, check back soon and Happy 4th of July! Here is a virtual cupcake for you...

3681406417_67da1b6625

1 comment:

Andalee said...

Your thoughts on the 4th in Florida are the exact opposite as mine! Isn't that funny. I spent all of my summers in Florida as a child, and when we weren't up in Ohio, we were doing some fund stuff in FLA USA. I remember going to the beach all day and getting crazy burned and then setting off fireworks in the cul-de-sac. Loved it! Happy Independence Day, woman! XOXO