Wednesday, August 26, 2009

3...2....1.....!!!!!

Hey there! Just a quick thought that just came to my mind about my blog and the infrequency I've been posting since coming home from France: It's all about quality, not quantity, right?. Whew, that makes me feel better! Wow, I almost cannot believe that I haven't seen Yann since June 5th. That's the longest we've gone wthout seeing eachother since we've met. We've done the two months apart thing twice but this is just craziness. So, in 3 days, on Sept 1st my French knight in shining armor will come riding into my driveway, in a cheap rental car, to sweep me off my feet. Oh, wait he won't be able to lift my 8 month pregnant butt very far off the ground. Oh well, that's the image I have floating around in my head right now! It's kind of fun, this whole not seeing your husband for a long time thing. I mean, it's like, what will his hair be like, will he have grown a beard? Will he look like a wild seafaring mate from Newcastle, England? (I say that because he has been aboard his ship there in the port for the last 3 weeks working.) Poor guy would call me from work and tell me he hadn't been able to have a shower on his ship for 3 days because they had run out of hot water. Wow, the sailor life is not for me.


So, when he gets here hopefully we can lay around and just do a bunch of nothin'. Such as, movie watching, hand holding, baby name thinking, cooking, and lots of talking!! The last, being something that I miss probably the most right now. We can talk on the phone for about 20 minutes and then we both get distracted and go kind of ADD on eachother. But when you're face to face it's harder for that to happen.

So, is it crazy that I planned my baby shower on the same day as my 10 year high school reunion?! Because I'm beginning to think that was a little much for one day. But i did it that way, because it's on Labor Day weekend and I knew a few very good friends would be in town already for the reunion. So, I'm kind of trying to kill a couple birds with one (busy) stone, you know? Well, I bought a dress for the baby shower and because it was not on sale I tried to think if it will still fit me and look good after the baby is born. I think it will. Then the dress I'm wearing to the reunion is a little black number from my pre-baby belly days and amazingly enough it still fits, just a bit tighter. It's made out of a black stretchy material; that's my saving grace.


The day before my shower my great and talented friend Abby from Liga Photography is giving me such a fun gift. The gift of a Mommy Glam session. Can you guess what that's all about? Basically, it's a photo shoot where you get all dressed up and done up like the hot momma you are and she takes studio pics of you. And she makes the moms-to-be look so cute, like pregnant super models. :) Can't wait to post those pics for you on here!


Here is a watercolor painting that I did over the last several days. I've never done any paintings like this. But the baby's nursery, that is yet to exist, may need some wall art someday. And since greens seem to be emerging as the color for her room, I went with a green background. I wanted to incorporate some patterns from fabric, since that's the medium I've been the most obsessed with lately. So, I added in some paisley patterning because on her crib bedding there is paisley. I think I will do 2 more smaller ones to compliment this one. What do you think about it- Do I have a future as a watercolorist?

IMG_4174

And a detail shot:

IMG_4175


Here is a picture of what I call my Friday Night Apron. I had this material for about a year and I kept meaning to make a sexy, retro apron out of it. So, finally! I love that it's reversible so that on one side you have more blues and greens and then on the other you have your girlie pinks. I just got my custom labels mailed to me, so I think I wil make a few of these and put them up in the esty shop, that is sitting empty and unopened right now! Please notice that little adorable pocket (that is fully lined, people!) with the rickrack.

IMG_4163

IMG_4166


Next item up:

The Swing Bag, finished yesterday and I'm in love! Umm, how darling is this fabric combo? That fabric was just in at my local sewing/quilting shop. I think it makes for a great tote bag and I made it reinforced with a thick layer of canvas in between the lining fabric and the outer fabric; I just like the feel of a sturdier bag. The sash bow you can leave on or untie and even use as a belt or scarf. Today, I cleaned up my sewing room (aka: my mom's dining room) and stored all my supplies because with Yann coming and the baby shower here at the house, I needed to clean up my crafting junk. With all these projects, I think I got out most of my crafting urges for at least a week or two.

IMG_4159

IMG_4157

Check out the lining material. It's actually reversible too, but I just love the outside fabric so much, I don't think I'll ever reverse it!

IMG_4160

And a final parting shot:

My dog sleeping on my bed as I sit here and write a blog post. I love him. I really, really love him.

IMG_4196

IMG_4187

5 comments:

KatieKate said...

You are maybe too cool and too talented for words. Man, do we ever have the saem taste, though. That swing bag is impeccable!

I thought your hubbie wasn't due 'home' for another couple of weeks, but I am sooooo glad it's just a couple days away! Have a blast!

Karen said...

Lovely post, Heather, and lovely work! Very sweet!

Love,

Karen

Unknown said...

ok, there's a lot here, you really do believe in quality don't you.
haha.
so excited for you to see yann, not long now.
ok, you are a potter, don't forget that, just kidding, that's what you said to me when i was painting on wood, i remember that comment.
the painting is awesome, i love it. if that goes in the nursery it will be one cool chic one.
i want an apron and a bag. they are awesome. you are so talented. why is everything you ever touch look amazing?
i'm sad i can't come to florida for your shower and meet all your friends. that would be so fun.
can't wait to read that post.

Lauren Hildreth said...

Heather, that swing bag is AMAZING. The color-combination is just perfect, and the print is lovely. Love the apron, too. What sewing shop did you buy these fabrics from? Is it here in Sarasota?

Unknown said...

Heather,
YOU are darling! And so are your bags, aprons, and growing belly!!!

It was so great to see you last month, even if only for a short while, and I am very excited that Yann has joined you in Florida! I will keep an eye out for etsy postings...and yes, you have a future in water color paintings, but you also have a future in anything hand made a girl could want from what I can tell!

Sending lots of love and hugs to you!
xo kyra