Monday, September 28, 2009

Finding Home Sweet Home

Well, finally we have found a roof over our heads! Our little real estate deal did not go through (the short sale house) but I think every day that passes we are actually thankful it didn't happen. It is just that we are in such a transitory phase in our lives right now and I think buying a house would be too confining. We need to be free to move about in the next year or so as we settle into life in the US. That sounds funny for me to say that, as I am from here! But for Yann this moving to the States permanently has been a big change. First, he has basically quit his job that he had in France for the last six years, then he's about to become a daddy, and he is coming to this country where he has vacationed, but never lived. All I can say, is that thank God he already speaks English! That would just be too much to bear if he had to learn the language too!


But, we found a great house rental about a 3 minute drive from my parents neighborhood. It's got a huge fenced in yard, which was our first requirement. It's an older home that has been renovated from top to bottom and we are the first to rent it since the renovation. It has a big, big kitchen with gleaming new stainless steel appliances. A real cooks kitchen with lots of counter space. We feel like we're living pretty large in this house. We don't own enough furniture to fill the place up! But I'm sure we'll manage. And the one thing that sealed the deal is that I have my very own craft room with nice natural light and wood floors! I can't wait to set up a little sewing and painting nook in there. I think we will be very happy in this house for one year and even though I'm not a huge fan of carpets (I think they get filthy very quickly and are harder to clean) the house has all brand new carpet. I think this will be good for the baby once she begins to crawl and walk. So, we are moving in on Thursday and then Yann and my dad have to drive up to NC and move all my stuff out of my parents basement up there and bring it to Florida.


I had a midwife appointment last week and I have one on Sept. 30th also. The one on the 30th is the home visit, where the midwife comes to check your house out for the home birth. She checks to be sure you have gathered all the items for the birth kit. Now my appointments are weekly because I am at 35.5 weeks. I can't believe I'm almost at 37 weeks! It's crazy to think that any time after 37 weeks it's ok if I go into labor. ( The midwives won't deal with your birth if you go into labor anytime before 37 wks. ) We are slowly knocking out all our natural birthing classes and they are so informative and fun. I almost will be sad when they end! Her heartbeat sounds healthy and she is in her head down position and that's about all the new info from the appointments. Pretty much she is just packing on fat now in the womb; you go girl! I am feeling pretty great to be this far in the pregnancy. I am having some intense heartburn at night! That is a symptom that I never thought I'd be prone to in pregnancy, but apparently very bizarre things happen to your body during this time. I thought maybe I'd only experience this if I ate a massively greasy hamburger right before bed. However, I can eat a salad for dinner and have the same problem. I felt funny buying Tums for the first time in my life! They taste awful, like those horribly chalky candies from the 1970's: Nekko's. Yuck! But if that is my biggest complaint at 35 weeks then I guess it's really not so bad!!! Also, my appetite is outa control. I feel like Godzilla of eating. I just can't get enough and I am constantly on the prowl for food. Sometimes I wake up at 4am and raid the fridge for anything, because I can't sleep I'm so hungry. PB&J's at 5am are amazing.


When we move in Yann will paint the nursery. That is always a big rite of passage for the dad, isn't it? Going together to Home Depot and picking out the nursery paint for your first baby. And then I get out of the hard work of actually painting, because you know paint fumes are not good for baby!! :) I also have a free pass to get out of lifting a finger during our move! Oh, how lazy and indulgent I feel! I've moved myself so many times to various rental houses, always sweaty, exhausted, and sore at the end of the move. So, it will be great to just play the role of "Move Director". Oh, Yann won't like the sound of that-(sorry honey, bad joke!)

Anyways, here is a pic of our new car: Toyota Highlander! A family car, our petite SUV, our carbon footprint...

DSCN3308

Here are some pics of when Abby, Steph, and I did the Mommy Glam photo shoot. They are my two dear best friends of so many years. These two are so essential to my life. You can't imagine...And Abby called me a few days ago and said the maternity photos are coming soon in the mail so I will definitely share them when I get them.

IMG_4209

IMG_4206

And here is my favorite pic from my baby shower:

DSC00968

And here is a belly shot from Sept 19th, 2009:


DSCN3516

And finally here i am today in the yard with my mom after swimming at about 36 weeks!! Holy belly shot! I am brave in posting this one...

DSCN3529_2

5 comments:

Nan said...

heya girly! i have been thinking about you! you look great...congrats on the house and the car! we just got a petite suv ourselves..a suburu forrester! drivin' family style! sooo I am gonna be heading your way in three weeks so you better suck it in until then! xxoo nan

Karen said...

Hey, Heather,

I've been watching for news! So fun to "hear" it all first hand, and see the pics! Your car is just like mine, although yours is probably in better shape.

Speaking of shape - wow! Thanks for sharing your pregnancy pics. It's hard to believe it's all happening, and really pretty soon! How exciting for all of us!

Andalee said...

All good news, Heather. I am so happy for you and your family!. XOXO, Megan.

Unknown said...

so glad you found a house to rent. it sounds awesome. it's prob. a great thing that you guys are taking it slow.
you are so cute and yes, brave. i'm so glad that you are showing that belly off, it's a beautiful thing.
This next few weeks will be big, i will be praying for you and thinking of you often and of course checking here.
love you.

inmotion said...

brave and beautiful!