Monday, September 22, 2008

Horsin' around

On Saturday we went to the Verdon to go horseback riding.  I had been asking Yann for weeks if he would take me so I was very excited to be going.  We arrived at the horse barn and we got to groom the horses before we rode; It's weird but I think I love grooming the horse more than riding.  I went to horse camp as a kid and for one week each camper was assigned one horse to take care of and ride.  It kind of was the closest I ever came to having my own horse.  And I still remembered how to pick the dirt out of their hooves and use all the different brushes on them.  So, we got our horses lookin' all pretty and we went riding with a little group.  It's weird to ride with all instructions in another language.  Yann and I were in the back so I kept looking to him and asking, "Do I need to know anything important about what the guide is saying??"  

We rode through the woods and on trails that passed ancient farmhouses.  It was beautiful scenery and a pretty & sunny day.  At lunch time we stopped at an old fountain next to one of these ancient farms; It had the date 1869 on the fountain.  The guide explained how last week one man called and had her set up a marriage proposal for his girlfriend.  They rode on the same trail we did and arrived at this romantic fountain and he proposed to her there.

It was feeling very Fall-like, as maybe you can see in the pictures below.  The leaves are starting to fall and become crunchy underfoot.  I love this time of the year.  We had an amazing picnic: of course the French do it right...rosee wine, fresh baguettes, roasted rosemary and herb chicken, carrot salad, and still warm Nutella crepes for dessert.  After the picnic we were all stuffed and we got back on the horses and headed back.  We had a really fun day; and now I can stop bothering Yann to take me horse back riding.  He is so sweet to me; he was a little apprehensive about going because he had only one experience riding and it was a bad one.  He had almost fallen off the horse when it was cantering.  But this time he got over his fear because the guide let us run with the horses.  He felt really comfortable and in control when we were running, so he was really happy about that.

And we were sooo sore the next day...Is that normal when you haven't ridden for 10 years?  I was so shocked because as a kid I rode a lot and I never remember being so sore.  I think it must be because we're gettin' older.  Anyways, pics follow:






















Look at my cowboy ride like an expert...











My horse was named Felina and she was a beauty.









Here are some pictures of a pillowcase I embroidered for Laila as a thank you for putting a good word in for me for the job.  I picked all red, yellow, and blues; I think my stitches are improving a little bit from my first project.  Anyways, I think Laila liked it and that what matters most!  My grandma Mary would be proud of me!




























Detail of Flower


1 comment:

Laila said...

I LOVE it! Thank you, thank you!!