Friday, October 17, 2008

This post is void of pictures and I'm sorry for that

So, I am extremely happy it is Friday, because when a person goes from not working for 5 months straight, to working a full  two weeks teaching english, one gets really knackered.  (To use a cool new word I learned from my British friends)  Thankfully, this Saturday I'm not on the schedule, but I was last week.  Plus, as a teacher it's important to always be energetic and  'present'.  The adults I teach are all professional business people.  Usually, CEO's, engineers, and HR people but also every one in between:  Secretaries, technicians, sales people, ect.  So, they are smart cookies and they mostly have already studied English in school.  Plus, French people are very knowledgeable about grammer particulars.  So, the English teacher better know her verb tenses and have on-point explanations for when to use them.  Whew, I admit, I had to review that stuff when I first was hired.  Luckily, my French husband helped me out by explaining it all to me.  

Anyways, yesterday was a rough day......I had a 'charter out' at 8am, which means I go to the client in their office building.  Usually, the teachers can take public transport to get there, but this time I had to drive the truck because it was pretty far outside the city.  So, I have my directions and my little rolling suitcase with my portable cd player and books and I leave an hour early from my house to get there.  It is only about a 15-20 min. drive so I had brought a book to read in the parking lot, if I was early.  Well, I got off at the right exit but completely missed the street and i couldn't turn around because it was a one way street.  So, I ended up getting back on the highway heading back the direction I came from so I could do the exit again.  Well, long, horrible story short I couldn't find the turn around exit and I ended up all the way back basically at my apartment.  I looked at my watch; 30 minutes to the start of the class.  OK.  So, I get back on the highway, except now there is gridlock traffic.  Finally, I get off at the correct exit, take the correct street, totally miss the address and end up in some entire other area.  Holy crap, now I only have like 15 min. to get there.  

I go into a Tabac to ask directions and the nice man draws me a little map even, still I think he was sending me the wrong way.  The only way I can figure out how to get there is to take this twisty, steep road that is very narrow.  Well, that turns out to be a one way street and even though I am getting dirty looks I plunge down the road anyways.  I get to the business exactly on time, one minute early, in fact and the lessons go off without a hitch.  The students had no idea that 10 minutes prior I had been in my car cursing the French highway gods at the top of my lungs.  

Later that day, I got a 35 Euro parking ticket, stepped in dog poop, and missed an important appointment with an electrician that was going to fix something in our apartment. 


On to Topic #2:

So, we have a little problem in our house.  Apparently, my husband is a Nutella fiend.  The guy can polish off an entire 750 gram jar of the chocolatly-hazelnutty breakfast spread in 2 days flat.  That is roughly 1 lb. 10.5 ounces of pure delight and gooey goodness.  So, here's what's not fair:  I want to make myself a toasted baguette sandwich in the morning before work and smear it with nutritious and energizing butter and Nutella and....all that is left in the bottom of the jar is dried up old crusty chunks of the stuff.  It's such an anti-climax to my morning ritual.  Gettin' all excited for my breakfast as I'm shampooing in the shower, thinking about the toasty heat of the baugette melting the butter with the chocolate into this unbelievable rich and sinful goo.  

And then I realize upon opening the jar that there has been yet another strike by the Nutella Thief of Marseille.  I caught him one day last week, guys, he had a massive soup spoon in one hand, the jar in the other, and a shit-eating grin on his face.  Yet, this wasn't shit smeared on his lower lip; it was Nutella.  And when he really has a stressful day, you know what he does?, (and I'm not lying about this), AND he will kill me when he sees I've written this for the world to see.......he takes a spoon and the jar of Nutella into the shower with him, turns the water on super hot and sits on the floor of the tub and eats Nutella.  Oh my gosh, I love him so much.  

The End.

1 comment:

Nan said...

hurray! i am so excited for you workin lady!